NATE NIEMAN | PARTNER
Nate Nieman is a trial and appellate lawyer whose practice focuses on criminal defense and collateral matters. Mr. Nieman’s practice is specifcally geared towards representing criminal defendants in post-trial matters, whether in post-trial motions, post-conviction petitions, or on appeal. Mr. Nieman began his career in the Dekalb County Public Defender’s office and the Office of the State Appellate Defender Third District before entering private practice in his hometown of the Quad Cities. Mr. Nieman’s law office is located blocks away from the Mississippi River in Moline, IL.
Mr. Nieman has published widely on various criminal defense topics. Mr. Nieman has written several articles on criminal law and procedure for the Northern Law Blog and several articles on criminal appellate procedure for the The Brief, which is published by the Illinois Appellate Lawyer’s Association. Mr. Nieman has also published articles in the Kane County Bar Briefs and the ISBA’s Traffic Law and Courts newsletter. PDFs of these articles are found below.
- “New Grounds for Challenging Red Light Tickets After PA 96-1016 and Melendez-Diaz,” ISBA Traffic Law & Courts (March 2011). Read Full PDF >>
- “New Duties for Criminal Defense Counsel After People v. Padilla,” Kane County Bar Briefs 30 (February 2011). Read Full PDF >>
- “Harassment Statutes After People v. Cardamone: Lowering the Bar for Conviction but Raising Constitutional Questions,” Kane County Bar Briefs 38 (June 2010). Read Full PDF >>
- “Post-conviction Basics,” Rock Island County Bar Association Spring Seminar, June 10, 2016
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- B.A., English, University of Northern Iowa
- J.D., Northern Illinois University